Local Salvatorians mark anniversaries
Br. Regis Fust and Fr. Cletus LaMere among jubilarians
On Saturday, June 29, 20 members of the Society of the Divine Savior and the Sisters of the Divine Savior (the Salvatorians) will celebrate anniversaries of religious life.
The Salvatorian jubilarians serving locally include Fr. Cletus LaMere, (60th jubilee); Br. Regis Fust (50th); Fr. James McKenna (50th); and Br. Matthew Wood (25th).
The ceremony will take place in the Chapel of Sacred Heart School of Theology in Hales Corners. During the Mass, jubilarians will renew their vows in the presence of the community. Following Mass will be a dinner, to which all Salvatorians have been invited.
Fr. James McKenna is one of 11 children of Thomas and Margaret McKenna. He was born in Craigneuk, Scotland, on Nov. 23, 1916. When he was 12 years old, his family emigrated to the United States in 1928, and settled in Long Island, New York.
After high school, Fr. McKenna entered the Salvatorian community at Jordan Seminary in Menominee, Mich. He was ordained on June 9, 1952, at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington.
His priestly ministry began with teaching at Mother Mary Mission in Phenix City, Ala., and at Jordan High School, Milwaukee. He was later pastor or associate pastor in numerous Salvatorian parishes across the country, including Wauwatosa and St. Joseph Parish in Madison from 1989 to 1991. For two years prior to retirement, Fr. McKenna also assisted the staff at EWTN in Alabama.
In 2000, Fr. McKenna moved to St. Mary's Home for health reasons. He lives there with other retired members of his Salvatorian community.
On Sunday, June 30, Fr. McKenna will join with three Salvatorian classmates (Fr. David Brusky, Fr. John Kouba, and Fr. Eric Middlecamp) to celebrate their 50th anniversary of ordination at St. Anne's Salvatorian Campus in Milwaukee, with an 11:15 a.m. Mass followed by a social.
Br. Regis Fust directed the Salvatorian Mission Warehouse in New Holstein for many years. He is a native of Medford. He is the only son of Ewald and Esther Fust. He has three sisters. After attending high school in Wausau, Br. Regis entered the Salvatorian Novitiate in Menominee, Mich., after which he was assigned to the publishing department at Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz as printer and photographer. In 1961, the publishing department moved to the new Salvatorian Center in New Holstein, where Bro. Regis continued as photographer until 1966. He then became founding director of the Salvatorian Mission Warehouse.
Under his direction, volunteers from nearly every parish in the Green Bay Diocese have helped repack tons of medicines, clothing, candy, blankets, and personal items to be shipped to missionaries around the world.
Fr. Cletus LaMere, though retired from full-time ministry and celebrating his 60th jubilee, spends much of the year helping out at Ss. Peter and Paul, Kiel. Born in Eastman, a town in western Wisconsin, Fr. LaMere is one of 13 children of John and Anna LaMere. He attended high school in Praire du Chien before transferring to Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz. He entered the novitiate at St. Nazianz, and made his first profession in September 1942. His studies were at Divine Savior Seminary in Lanham, Md., and Catholic University in Washington. He was ordained at St. Gregory Church in St. Nazianz in June 1948.
Throughout his years in priestly ministry, Fr. Cletus served as teacher, Director of Vocations, pastor, and in hospital ministry.
Br. Matthew Wood, a native of Battle Creek, Mich., is one of three children of Chester and Irene Wood. He entered the Salvatorian community through its Novitiate program in Colfax, Iowa, in 1961 and made his first profession in 1962.
In his first two years of ministry, Br. Matt was the Assistant Prefect of Candidates at the Jordan Juniorate in Menominee, Mich. He then received training in acounting and management, and worked in various office capacities at Mount St. Paul College in Waukesha and St. Pius X Seminary in Galt, Calif. In these places, Br. Matt discovered a love for photography. In 1969, he began his work as principal photographer at Salvatorian Center in New Holstein. He has worked in photography and in other graphics arts at the Salvatorian Center since then.