Not only did God become man, but the incarnation was only the beginning of a mission that set the world free. Blessed John Paul II said beautifully in Evangelium Vitae, “The Gospel of Life,” that “Truly great must be the value of human life if the Son of God has taken it up and made it the instrument of the salvation of all humanity!” (EV, 33) Our lives are so important and of such great value that God affirmed human life by becoming man and giving us salvation through his life!
Mary had the courage to say yes even with so much uncertainty of what the future would hold. She was pregnant with Jesus. Jesus was already Jesus in his mother’s womb, just like human babies are babies in their mother’s wombs. The Virgin Mary was willing to be obedient in faith even though the reality surrounding her would condemn her. She would experience the humiliation of people talking about her not being married. She would also have to face the law of stoning. She was facing her death, but still gave of herself and chose the life in her womb regardless of the circumstances.
So with the reality of God becoming man, it elevates mankind. It elevates the holiness and dignity of the baby in the womb, every human life, because Jesus affirmed this miracle when he was in this place.
Each person created in the womb of their mother is a creation of God with a mission and purpose to fulfill by God; a perfect plan for each life which begins at the moment of their conception. “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. … For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare, and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope” (Jer 1:5, 29:11).
Abortion, embryonic stem cell research and abortifacients (contraception that causes chemical abortions within the womb) all kill the life of a baby created in God’s image and likeness. These convenient “pills” and “medical procedures” are killing our future generations:
• 1.2 million babies in the womb are being killed through eight types of abortive procedures in the U.S.
• We can legally kill babies in the womb throughout all nine months of pregnancy; before the moment they are born.
• Our one nation under God, has killed 53 million babies in the womb, since 1973.
• We have killed more babies in the womb than every war we were in — combined; recognizing all the men and women who gave their lives for the freedom of others, even preborn American citizens.
• One out of every four women have had abortions. We have allowed so many women and men to suffer under the oppression of abortion. Most women don’t want an abortion, they want help in order to choose life.
Mary loved Jesus even before he was born. Let us pray that all mothers who have a baby in their womb will realize that God created both of them for greatness, in this world and for all eternity. Let us give thanks to our mothers for our gift of life this holy Advent and blessed Christmas season.
Pallini is the respect life consultant for the Green Bay Diocese.