A very happy and blessed New Year to you all! I pray that the love of the newborn Jesus is alive and well in all your hearts
I pray that the love of the newborn Jesus is alive and well in all your hearts as we begin 2013.
Back in October the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, opened the Year of Faith for Catholics throughout the world. The goal of the Year of Faith is to strengthen the faith of Catholics and draw the world to faith by example. As young people you can help share this message of faith in five simple ways:
- Participate in Mass. Going to Mass every Sunday strengthens your faith; you learn so much through the Scriptures, the Creed, other prayers, sacred music, the homily, receiving Communion and being part of a faith community.
- Go to confession. If you have made your first reconciliation, you can grow deeper in your faith through participation in the sacrament of penance and reconciliation. Confession helps you come back to God, tell him that you are sorry for what you have done and makes you feel the power of God’s healing grace and love.
- Learn about the lives of the saints. The saints are timeless examples of how to live a Christian life, and they provide endless hope. Like all of us, they were sinners who kept trying to grow closer to God. They also showed us ways a person can serve God: through teaching, missionary work, charity, prayer and simply striving to please God in the ordinary actions and decisions of daily life.
- Read the Bible daily. Scripture offers first-hand access to the Word of God and tells the story of human salvation.
- – Help those in need. I am sure you know people who could use your help. Helping those in need at home, at school and in your parish are three simple ways to start.
At this time of year you might hear your parents talk about making resolutions. Simply put, resolutions are decisions we make to do something or to change something about our actions. Think of the things listed above that you currently do, and keep on doing them. Then find something from the list above that you could work on, and make that your resolution for the Year of Faith. God Bless you and your family this New Year!