GREEN BAY — Bishop David Ricken will ordain two men to the priesthood and one to the diaconate at the Mass of ordination, 10 a.m. Saturday, May 31, at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral, 140 S. Monroe Ave.
Deacon Brian Wideman of St. Margaret Mary Parish, Neenah, and Deacon Ryan Starks of St. Mary Parish, Marion, will be ordained priests for the Diocese of Green Bay.
Deacon Wideman recently graduated from St. Meinrad School of Theology in Indiana and Deacon Starks graduated from Mundelein Seminary in Illinois.
Edward Looney of Holy Trinity Parish, Oconto, will be a transitional deacon. He is scheduled to be ordained to the priesthood in 2015.
Deacons Wideman and Starks will officially become priests following the laying on of hands and the prayer of consecration. Bishop Ricken will present each with a chalice and paten to signify the centrality of the Eucharist in their ministry.
Special coverage in the June 6 issue of The Compass will include features on the two newly ordained priests and deacon and photos from the Mass of ordination.
Road construction on Monroe Street
Due to road construction that is now underway on Monroe Street in Green Bay, travelers to St. Francis Xavier Cathedral will need to take an alternate route to attend the priest ordination on May 31 and diocesan-wide confirmation on June 8.
During this road construction project, travelers will NOT be able to cross Monroe Street at any intersection from Main Street on the north to Cass Street on the south.
The following are the recommended detours for accessing St. Francis Xavier Cathedral.
From 172 East or West
- Take Webster/Riverside exit.
- Proceed down the Riverside exit to stop light and turn right.
- Go about 2 miles to first stoplight at Porlier Ave and turn left.
- Go 1 block to Madison Street and turn right (one-way north).
Cathedral entrance will be about 6 blocks down the street on your right, just after Cathedral Book & Gift Store.
From Main Street East or West
- Turn south on Madison Street (which is a two-way street leading up to Walnut Street)
- Go 3 blocks to Walnut Street and turn right.
- Go one block to Jefferson Street and turn left.
- Go 1 block to Doty Street and turn left.
- Go 1 block to Madison Street and turn left (this is now a one-way street)
Cathedral entrance will be immediately on the right, just after Cathedral Book & Gift Store.