GREEN BAY — The 2018 Bishop’s Appeal will launch this weekend, Feb. 3 and 4. Bishop David Ricken invites members of the Diocese of Green Bay to consider making a gift to the annual Appeal.
“For 150 years the faithful throughout the Diocese of Green Bay have embraced following Jesus as his disciples,” said Bishop Ricken. “Our work continues this year as we celebrate the 150th anniversary of our founding as a diocese. Through your generous support of the Bishop’s Appeal, parishes, schools, families, and individuals are discovering what it means to be a disciple and sharing that same joy with others in their own communities.”
The theme for 2018 is “Embracing a Life of Discipleship.”
“Through the generosity of thousands of people, we are able to share the ministries of the Catholic Church to educate our young people, inspire families to be households of disciples, and provide counseling and care through the services of Catholic Charities,” said Josh Diedrich, executive director of the Catholic Foundation. “All of this is made possible through your gift to the Bishop’s Appeal. You are truly making a difference in the lives of so many people in our communities, and for this, we are grateful.”
Through the ministries of the church, Catholics are able to walk with people on life’s journey and inspire disciples throughout the Diocese of Green Bay. In the next week, parishioners will receive a letter from Bishop Ricken, inviting them to make a gift. Contributions can also be made online through the Catholic Foundation at www.catholicfoundation gb.org/give.
Each contribution to the Bishop’s Appeal supports:
- Catholic Charities in extending outreach services to those most in need. Services include mental health counseling; family strengthening programs; adoption and pregnancy counseling to assist birth parents, adoptive couples and people with unplanned pregnancies; budget counseling; and more.
- Education in assisting Catholic schools and parishes in their mission to share our Catholic teachings with people of all ages.
- Office of Marriage, Family Life & Pro-Life in reaching out and providing opportunities for people to embrace social justice and share their faith.
- New Evangelization in focusing on young adult discipleship and formation and adult faith formation, while guiding people closer to Christ through prayer and worship.
- Ministry Formation in training and forming deacons, pastoral leaders and lay ministers.
- Parish Planning & Pastoral Services in helping parishes develop and enhance ministries that encourage prayer, service, sharing and engagement in parish life.
- Divine Worship in providing liturgical resources for parishes and training for liturgists and musicians.
- The Compass newspaper in publishing news and information about the local and universal church.
Gifts to the Bishop’s Appeal are accepted year round. For more information, visit http://www.catholicfoundationgb.org/bishops-appeal.