My young friends,
Congratulations to all of you on the completion of another school year. Whether you are going from one grade to the next, from your grade school or middle school to high school or from high school to college, now is a time for celebration and as well as a time of transition. May the peace and love of Jesus be with you at this exciting time of year!
Last month we spoke about Pentecost and how the Holy Spirit is given to each of us individually and to all the people of God’s community. After Jesus taught the apostles all they needed to know to continue his work, they went out and they spread the Good News. You are witnesses to the love of Jesus and you are called to share the message of Jesus’ love with all you meet.
So what can you do as a disciple of Christ? How can you continue the work of the apostles? You can continue the work in many ways in your homes, schools, towns and everywhere you go. The Holy Spirit that came to our church at Pentecost is always with you to help you do this.
Here are some ways you can help spread Jesus’ message:
- Love God and love other people.
- Treat everyone with kindness and respect, just as you would like to be treated.
- Help people who are less fortunate than you.
- Care for those who are ill and weak.
- Talk to people who are lonely and those who do not have many friends.
- Choose good over evil.
- Forgive other people when they do something wrong.
- Spend time with your best friend Jesus in prayer every day.
- Teach your friends about your faith and why you have a special love for Jesus and he for you.
That is a long list of ideas for you to work on this summer and all year long. And I would add one more thing that makes all tasks easier, do them with joy! Show the people you see that Christ has touched your heart and you are truly committed to showing everyone He is alive in you. Enjoy your summer and continue to be the best witness to the love of Jesus you can be!
I will pray for you, and I ask you to pray for me. God bless!