GREEN BAY — The Diocese of Green Bay announced the 2018 Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Rice Bowl Grant award winners Aug. 30. The diocese is a co-sponsor of the annual CRS Rice Bowl collection held every year during Lent.
“Support for the Catholic Relief Services Rice Bowl from around the 16 counties of our diocese allows us to provide relief to our brothers and sisters overseas as well as locally. CRS promotes the dignity and sacredness of human life throughout the world, and parishioners want to be a part of it,” said Eric Weydt, Catholic Social Justice coordinator for the Diocese of Green Bay and diocesan program coordinator of CRS Rice Bowl.
CRS Rice Bowl is a program of prayer, fasting, learning, and giving to help address the challenges of hunger and poverty around the world. Twenty-five percent of the money collected through diocesan parishes is reserved for local use. This year, $13,000 was awarded to agencies at the local level to meet the basic material needs of immigrant and refugee people in northeastern
This year’s recipients are:
- Alzheimer’s Association, Greater WI Chapter: Hispanic outreach project;
- Casa ALBA Melanie: diabetes education and support for Hispanics;
- EVA Mission, Inc.: assistance to the needy;
- House of Hope, Green Bay: emergency shelter and financial assistance;
- Family Services of Northeast Wisconsin: Hispanic survivor’s women’s group;
- Greater Green Bay Habitat for Humanity: Spanish/Hmong translation and interpretation
- Literacy Green Bay, Inc.: Adult English Language Learner classes;
- COMSA: Resource Center for the Somali community in Green Bay;
- Foundations Health & Wholeness, Inc.: Mental health care for non-English speaking clients;
- Quad Parishes Green Bay: St. Patrick’s Food Pantry;
- St. Vincent de Paul, Appleton: St. Vincent de Paul Appleton voucher program;
- St. Joseph Parish, Wautoma: Hispanic migrant pastoral ministry;
- Literacy Partners of Kewaunee County: Literacy partners prevailing services;
- LEAVEN: Emergency financial assistance, immigrant and refugee;
- St. Bernadette Parish, Appleton: Catholic Build Habitat for Humanity;
- Brown County UW-Extension: Church road community garden road repair;
- United ReSisters: College-bound Somali women.