Tourists swell size of Lakewood
Parish grew around the logging industry, but visitors have had impact
By Patricia Kasten
Compass Associate Editor
During this Jubilee year, we are asked to turn our hearts back to God, to be reconciled with God and with one another. One way to set our hearts and minds upon this reconciliation is through a pilgrimage.
Bp. Robert Banks has designated 10 pilgrimage sites for the Jubilee Year. Pilgrims may receive a special Jubilee Year indulgence granted by Pope John Paul. Conditions for the indulgence, besides the pilgrimage itself, include: Sacramental confession, at any time and place, during the Jubilee Year; Eucharistic Communion; and prayer for the intentions of the Holy Father.
Once at a pilgrimage site, the pilgrim is asked to recite the Lord's Prayer, the Apostles or Nicene Creed and a prayer for the Holy Father. Below is one of the 10 pilgrimage sites:
St. Mary of the Lake, 15323 Cty. F, Lakewood
(Chapels at Silver Lake and Crooked Lake)
Weekend Masses: Saturday at 6 p.m. and Sunday at 8:30 a.m. at Lakewood; Saturday at 4 p.m. at Silver Cliff; Sunday at 10:30 a.m. at Crooked Lake.
Liturgy of the Word with Communion on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8:30 a.m. at Lakewood; First Friday Service at 8:30 a.m. at Lakewood.
Summer Weekend Masses (Memorial Day through Labor Day): Saturday at 4 p.m. at Lakewood and Silver Cliff, and 6 p.m. at Lakewood and Crooked Lake. Sunday at 8:30 and 11 a.m. at Lakewood; 9 a.m. at Crooked Lake; 10:30 a.m. at Silver Cliff.
Confessions: First Saturdays at Lakewood; Second Saturdays at Silver Cliff and Third Saturdays at Crooked Lake at 11 a.m. at all sites.
Special Jubilee Year events: Aug. 20 picnic.
Parish founding: This parish grew up around the logging industry of the north woods. The parish was begun in 1916, with the first Masses held in the town hall. The first church was an old school building, purchased for $100 and moved to the one-acre parish site. This northern Oconto County area became increasingly popular for summer tourists and fall deer hunters, especially after World War II. So many people attended Masses at these times that they could not fit in the church. A window was put in the church building, so those standing outside could see in.
Present Church: The present brick church was built in 1955 and dedicated on Sept. 5, 1956. It was built in an L-shape so that the larger part of the church -- to accommodate tourists -- could be closed off during winter to conserve costs. The altar was placed at the junction of the "L" to be visible to both wings.
The parish also has chapels at Silver Cliff and Crooked Lake.
Silver Cliff Chapel is located 18 miles northeast of Lakewood on Hwy C in Marinette County. The first garage-like chapel, with doors that swung open to reveal the altar, was dedicated on May 7, 1957. A larger, complete chapel was dedicated on Oct. 6, 1968. Silver Cliff is especially popular during deer hunting season.
Crooked Lake Chapel, located northeast of Mountain on Hwy. W in Oconto County, was dedicated on May 29, 1955. The chapel was built at a cost of $1,500, but only included a roof. An additional $2,000 added walls, a concrete floor and a wood stove in 1956.
Pastor: Fr. Gerald Schmidt, OFM Cap., died May 14. At press time, the above Mass and confession schedule was correct. Changes may occur when a new priest is assigned. The parish office can be reached at 715-276-7364. Deacon Harold Orlowski serves the parish.
Parish membership: 741