Women's Club ends centennial
Celebration opens with a gift to diocese, closes with exhibit of church artifacts
The Catholic Woman's Club (CWC) closed its centennial year celebration with Mass, its annual breakfast meeting and a display of historical liturgical artifacts and Marian art at St. John the Evangelist Church, Green Bay.
The historical liturgical artifacts displayed from the St. Francis Xavier Cathedral museum included Bp. Paul Rhode's amethyst episcopal ring, ornate vestments from pre-Vatican liturgies, an early monstrance, an almost primitive tabernacle, and other artifacts used by Bp. Stanislaus Bona and his predecessors.
Duane Ebert of the Brown County Historical Society board of directors and chair of the society's Artifacts
Committee, identified some of the objects. Sonja Hitt, who as Cathedral sacristan oversees the collection,
expressed her thanks for the opportunity to display the articles.
The collection of Madonna paintings once hung in the club's Walnut Street clubhouse. CWC member Betty
Murphy said the prints - reproductions of Madonnas painted by Italian masters - were donated by the late
Mrs. Joseph Murphy, CWC charter member. The club returned the collection to the Murphy family when
the clubhouse was sold. They now belong to Murphy's granddaughter, Catherine Everson, honorary chair
of the Centennial Planning Committee.
Lovell Ives unveiled the club's centennial history, Pioneers in Community Giving - A History of the Catholic Woman's Club 1900-2000, written by Betsy Foley, and distributed to all members.
Catholic Women's Club was founded in 1900 and is one of Green Bay's oldest on-going organizations. It is
a community of Christian women who enjoy social, intellectual and cultural development within the
framework of charitable giving.
A year ago, the club began its centennial celebration by donating $100,000 to the Catholic Foundation of
the Green Bay Diocese to help support the work of the church in northeast Wisconsin.