Students write vocations Top 10 list
Resurrection students find best things about being a priest or sister
By Sarah Malcore
First and seventh grade students at Resurrection School can tell
you something good about a vocation to priesthood or religious
life. In fact - each class can give you a list of 10 good things.
Fr. Doug LeCaptain, diocesan director of vocations, and Sr. Laura
Zelten, vocations director for the Sisters of St. Francis of the
Holy Cross, each talked to the students at the Green Bay school
After the talk, the children along with Fr. LeCaptain and Sr.
Zelten brainstormed to come up with the "Top 10 Lists."
The first graders put together an illustrated book, Top Ten
Reasons to Become a Priest or Sister. Here is their list:
1. You get to tell everybody about Jesus.
2. You can be alone.
3. You can help people.
4. You can pray for Jesus.
5. You get to say the Mass.
6. You can take care of people.
7. You get to celebrate weddings and baptisms with people.
8. You get to live with other priests or sisters.
9. You get to wear fancy clothes.
10. You get to sing songs and read the Gospel.
The seventh grade class decided to find a rhyme in writing their
points. Here is their list:
1. Many religious lives will be led, because of the holy water
you place on their head.
2. Jesus was born in a stable, now you get to break bread at his
3. You get to wine and dine with the Divine!
4. Priests wear vestments, and read from the testaments.
5. The nun has a "habit," of praying on the Sabbath.
6. If you tell God a little prayer, you will get some goodness
that He will share.
7. Jesus has an interesting history, becoming a priest helps
uncover this mystery.
8. Your affection is a special connection.
9. You will get some love from up above.
10. When you step into the steeple you will get to meet tons of
Fr. LeCaptain and Sr. Zelten also answered questions from the
students, who each received a pen from Fr. LeCaptain and a sticky
note pad from Sr. Zelten to commemorate the visit.