Click to go to Diocese of Green Bay Web site
www.gbdioc.org
The Compass: Official Newspaper of the Catholic Diocese of Green Bay, Wisconsin
Click for past issues online

News

 Official Newspaper of the Catholic Diocese of Green Bay, WisconsinJuly 25, 2003 Issue 

Ss. Cyril and Methodius church, Eaton sold

Town hall to replace building


By Patricia Kasten
Compass Associate Editor

The church building for the former Ss. Cyril and Methodius Parish in Eaton has been sold and was scheduled to be demolished this week to make room for a new community complex for the Town of Poland in eastern Brown County. The town will build a town hall, a fire station and a community center on the site.

In 1999, the parish joined Our Lady, Queen of Peace Parish in Humboldt to become part of the new St. Thomas the Apostle Parish under the process of parish mergers and linkages to adapt to a diminishing number of priests in the Green Bay Diocese.

The parish still owns the rectory and the school building on the site. The rectory is leased and the school houses the parish's religious education program, three days a week, as well being leased to the Denmark Charter School.

Fr. Dean Dombrowski, pastor of St. Thomas, noted that most of the furnishings from the old church are already used in other locations:

• The stained glass windows have been installed in Corpus Christi Parish in Sturgeon Bay;

• The statue of Ss. Cyril and Methodius in at The Chapel shrine in Robinsonville;

• The tabernacle and Risen Lord statue are in the new St. Thomas church;

• The Stations of the Cross have also been sold to the Robinsonville Shrine.

According to Kevin Brunner, diocesan director of properties, the Stations will be refurnished and lacquered for outdoor use. Protective displays are being built and they will be used for outdoor Stations processions and private meditations.

Additionally, Fr. Dombrowski said, one of the bells and bricks from the church steeple will be used in a new memorial in the parish cemetery. As part of the agreement, the town will furnish water to the cemetery and improve the access to the school. The church was built and dedicated in 1899.

The priest noted that a key feature to this sometimes emotional saga is that the site "will still be used by the same community and gathering the same people that has gathered there for over 100 years."

Under the $17,000 sale, the town has agreed to assume the cost of demolition, as well as the improvements to the site. Eaton is a community of about 1,300 people on State Highway 29.


This issue's contents   |   Most recent issue's contents   |   Past issues index

Top of Page | More Menu Items | Home

© Catholic Diocese of Green Bay
1825 Riverside Drive | P.O. Box 23825 | Green Bay, WI 54305-3825
Phone: 920-437-7531 | Fax: 920-437-0694 | E-Mail: [email protected]